Saturday, March 24, 2012

Apple Nut Pudding Cake

My Grandma Allred (Ada May Gilchrist Allred) passed away when I was 11 years old. This is the only recipe I have that belonged to her. I don't make it often, but I love it and think of her whenever I eat it. --Sharon Kaye


Apple Nut Pudding Cake:

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
1 1/3 cups diced raw apples (2 large)

Beat eggs until fluffy. Add sugar gradually and beat thoroughly. Stir into mixture of sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add almond extract, apples, and nuts. Mix well. Pour into 8 inch greased square pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or favorite sauce.

I like the following sauce:
Daffodil Lemon Sauce:
Mix together 1/2 c. sugar, 4 tsp. cornstarch, dash salt and nutmeg. Gradually add 1 cup hot water. Cook until bubbly. Stir in a little of the cooked mixture into 2 beaten egg yolks. Return the egg mixture to the remaining sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add 2 TB butter and 2 TB lemon juice and lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment