Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mom's Rice Pudding

Whenever we had too much leftover rice from dinner I always knew what my mom was going to do with it. As she began making rice pudding, I got very excited because that meant we could eat rice pudding for breakfast in the morning. Now I've tried a few different rice puddings and they always seem to be so mushy with not a lot of flavor. I really love my mom's rice pudding because it has just the right amount of cinnamon and nutmeg flavor. Rice pudding has become one of my favorite breakfast dishes over the years and nothing compares to my mom's delicious recipe. My mom got this recipe from her mother and they would often eat it as a breakfast cereal too.
-Rachelle
















Rice Pudding:

1 1/4 c. cooked rice
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. heated milk
1 c. raisins
1 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon/nutmeg

Combine eggs, sugar, salt. Gradually add scalded milk. Add rice, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into buttered 1 quart casserole dish. Set dish in shallow pan and pour hot water into pan about 1 inch deep. Bake in 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm or cold with extra milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment