Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mom's Eggnog


I LOVE eggnog!  It was my favorite growing up.  I looked forward to Mom making it every year for our traditional Christmas breakfast of cinnamon rolls, oranges, banana's and eggnog.  Sometimes I couldn't wait a whole year for Christmas to roll around so I could drink eggnog and would make Dad's raw eggnog just for myself.  Mom never liked the raw stuff, but I didn't care as long as it was eggnog.  Once when I was babysitting I spied a carton of store bought eggnog in the fridge and poured myself a glass.  Ick!  I couldn't drink the stuff.  

Now that I have my own family I make eggnog for Christmas breakfast every year.  Sometimes with the season being so busy I'm tempted to buy eggnog from the store, but then I remember that nothing beats Mom's.   -Amy




Eggnog

2 cups milk
2 cups cream
3 eggs beaten, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
nutmeg

Combine first five ingredients and cook over low heat.  Stir constantly until mixture coats spoon.  Cool.  Beat with immersion blender to make smooth.  Add vanilla and nutmeg.  Chill 3-4 hours.  Add milk to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with my mother making this recipe. I don't even know you could buy eggnog (and that it tasted so bad) until I was in high school or college.

    ReplyDelete